The National Means Cum Merit-NMMS Scholarship for Class 8 is one of the most prestigious and largest scholarship schemes in India that provides financial assistance to meritorious students from economically weaker sections.
Initiated by the Department of School Education and Literacy under the Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), Government of India, the NMMS aims to arrest the dropout rate after class 8 and promote secondary education across the country.
Introduction to NMMS Scholarship
The NMMS scholarship scheme was launched in 2008 with the objective of motivating bright and disadvantaged students to complete their secondary and higher secondary education. Also referred to as the राष्ट्रीय आर्थिक दुर्बल घटक विद्यार्थ्यांसाठी शिष्यवृत्ती योजना परीक्षा (NMMSS), this scholarship provides financial assistance of Rs 12,000 per annum (Rs 1,000 per month) to around 1 lakh selected students every year for studying in classes 9 to 12.
The NMMS scholarship aims to reduce the dropout rate after class 8 as students belonging to economically weaker sections often discontinue studies due to financial constraints. By providing funding support based on merit-cum-means criteria, it hopes to promote secondary and higher secondary education among deserving students across India. The key objectives of NMMS are:
- Motivate students from disadvantaged backgrounds to continue education after class 8
- Provide financial support to meritorious students for studying classes 9 to 12
- Arrest the dropout rate after class 8 and improve secondary education levels
- Recognize and reward academic talent of students based on merit-cum-means criteria
The NMMS scholarship is awarded annually to around 1 lakh students selected through a competitive exam conducted by respective State/UT Governments. The scholarship amount is directly transferred to the student’s bank account on a quarterly basis. Apart from the financial incentive, NMMS scholars also get recognition for their merit and talent.
Eligibility NMMS Scholarship for Class 8
To be eligible to apply for the NMMS scholarship, students need to fulfill the following eligibility criteria:
- Currently studying in class 8 at a recognized school
- Annual family income must be less than Rs 3.5 lakhs from all sources
- Should have scored a minimum of 55% marks (50% for SC/ST students) in class 7 exams
- Must be studying at a government, government-aided or local body school
However, students from the following schools/institutions are not eligible for NMMS:
- Kendriya Vidyalayas
- Navodaya Vidyalayas
- Schools run by State Government residential, sports, military etc institutions
- Private schools
In addition to the above criteria, to continue receiving the NMMS scholarship amount, selected students need to fulfill the following conditions:
- Score at least 55% marks in class 8 board exams
- Clear promotion from class 9 to 10 and class 11 to 12 in the first attempt
- Maintain a minimum of 60% marks in class 10 exams (relaxable by 5% for SC/ST students)
Therefore, interested and eligible students studying in class 8 must apply for the NMMS scholarship to avail its benefits after qualifying the selection exam.
NMMS Scholarship – Important Dates
The NMMS scholarship is awarded through a selection process held annually by respective State/UT Governments. The key dates and timeline for NMMS are:
- NMMS Notification Release: August – September
- NMMS Application Start Date: September – October
- NMMS Application Last Date: October – November
- Issue of NMMS Admit Card: November – December
- NMMS Exam Date: November – January
- NMMS Result Date: March – April
The exact NMMS exam date may vary across different states. Students must keep track of the latest NMMS updates and timelines released by their respective State/UT Secondary Education Board.
It is advisable to apply as early as possible, much before the last date to avoid any last minute issues. The NMMS application deadline is around mid-October to November generally.
How to Apply for NMMS Scholarship?
Eligible students studying in class 8 can apply for the NMMS scholarship through the following process:
Step 1: NMMS Notification
- NMMS is announced by the Department of School Education and Literacy annually around August-September
- Details are published in leading newspapers, MHRD website and state education board websites
- Students must check their state’s official website for NMMS notification
Step 2: NMMS Application Form
- NMMS applications are invited online as well as offline mode
- Students can register online through National Scholarship Portal –NSP Portal or respective state education website
- Hard copies of application form may also be available at schools, collect it, fill correctly
Step 3: Documents Required
- Along with the application form, required supporting documents must be attached such as:
- Proof of annual family income (self-declaration or employer certificate)
- Domicile certificate
- Class 7 marksheet
- Recent passport size photograph
- Bank account details
Step 4: Application Submission
- Double check NMMS application for accuracy before final submission
- Submit offline forms directly to school or upload online application before last date
- Applications undergo verification at school and district level
Therefore, eligible students must follow the NMMS application process correctly and submit their forms on time along with necessary documents to avoid rejection.
NMMS Exam Pattern
The selection of NMMS scholars is based on a 2-stage competitive exam conducted by respective State/UT Secondary Education Boards. The NMMS exam comprises:
1. Mental Ability Test (MAT)
- Duration: 90 minutes
- Total Questions: 90
- Maximum Marks: 90
- Questions test reasoning, analytical and critical thinking skills
2. Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT)
- Duration: 90 minutes
- Total Questions: 90
- Maximum Marks: 90
- Questions from subjects like Maths, Science, Social Studies
The NMMS exam is held in the multiple choice questions format. Each question carries 1 mark and there is no negative marking. The medium of exam is in regional languages as well as English as per state norms.
The NMMS exam syllabus is designed by NCERT based on class 7 and 8 curriculum. The difficulty level is high, so thorough preparation as per exam pattern is essential to score well.
NMMS Result and Merit List
The NMMS results are declared by respective State Secondary Education Boards in around 2-3 months after the exam. The steps to check NMMS result are:
- Visit official website of State Education Board
- Enter Application ID, Roll number as required
- The NMMS result will be displayed with subject-wise marks
- Download result PDF for future reference
Along with results, the state-wise NMMS merit list is published listing the names, marks, district and school name of finally selected students. To qualify for NMMS scholarship, students must obtain:
- Minimum 40% marks separately in MAT and SAT (32% marks for SC/ST category)
- Selection based on merit-cum-means criteria
Only the top scoring students basis aggregated marks in MAT and SAT tests get selected after applying all tie-breaking conditions. The number of scholarships allocated to each state depends on class 7, 8 enrollment and population data.
NMMS Scholarship Amount |NMMS Benefits
Around 1 lakh students are selected every year for the NMMS scholarship benefits. The details of the NMMS scholarship amount are:
- Total annual scholarship amount – Rs 12,000
- Amount disbursed per month – Rs 1,000
- Total months per year – 12 (June to May)
- No other additional grants, allowances or benefits
The NMMS scholarship amount is disbursed on a quarterly basis directly into the student’s bank account through Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT). The scholarship tenure is 4 years covering classes 9 to 12 or till the completion of class 12, whichever is earlier.
How to Renew NMMS Scholarship Benefits?
To continue receiving the NMMS scholarship amount without interruption, selected students must renew it every year by fulfilling the following conditions:
For Class 10 Renewal
- Score at least 60% marks in Class 9 annual exams (relaxable by 5% for SC/ST students)
- Clear promotion from Class 9 to 10 in first attempt
For Class 11 Renewal
- Score at least 55% marks in Class 10 board exams (relaxable by 5% for SC/ST students)
- Clear promotion from Class 10 to 11 in first attempt
For Class 12 Renewal
- Clear promotion from Class 11 to 12 in first attempt
If a student fails to meet the above academic performance criteria, the NMMS scholarship will be discontinued. Timely renewal is a must to keep receiving the financial assistance without
Benefits of NMMS Scholarship
The National Means Cum Merit Scholarship offers several benefits to meritorious and deserving students from economically disadvantaged sections of society:
1. Financial Support
- NMMS provides an annual scholarship of Rs 12,000 to selected students
- Amount of Rs 1,000 is given per month for 10 months in an academic year
- Funding assistance removes financial hurdles to continue education
2. Recognition of Merit
- Students are selected on the basis of merit in a competitive exam
- Boosts academic confidence and motivates students to study further
3. Arrests Dropout Rate
- High dropout rate after class 8 is reduced through NMMS incentive
- Encourages students to complete secondary and higher secondary education
4. Promotes Higher Studies
- NMMS scholars tend to pursue professional courses after 12th
- Opens doors for collegiate education and career opportunities
5. Prestigious Scholarship
- Being an NMMS scholar is a matter of immense pride and achievement
- Helps in building academic profile and CV for future opportunities
Therefore, the NMMS scheme provides a great platform for deserving class 8 students to nurture their talent and continue their studies further.
How to Prepare for NMMS Exam?
To succeed in the NMMS scholarship exam, students need to have a strategic preparation plan and rigorous practice. Here are some useful NMMS exam preparation tips:
1. Analyze NMMS Syllabus
- Carefully read through entire MAT and SAT syllabus prescribed
- Understand topic weightage, important concepts, focus areas
2. Make Time-Table
- Plan a daily/weekly schedule for NMMS preparation
- Divide time between MAT and SAT papers
- Allocate more time to difficult subjects
3. Strengthen Concepts
- Go through NCERT books of class 7 and 8 thoroughly
- Make notes, highlight formulas, laws, important topics
- Focus more on Maths, Science and Social Studies
4. Take Mock Tests
- Attempt mock tests weekly to assess exam readiness
- Analyze weak areas and improve speed and accuracy
5. Revise and Practice
- Do multiple revisions before exam day
- Solve previous year papers and model test papers
- Work on your weaknesses and improve problem solving skills
6. Avoid Stress
- Do not take exam pressure, stay motivated
- Take breaks in between study schedule
- Eat healthy, sleep well and stay confident
Thorough preparation with a smart study plan and practice routine is vital for clearing the highly competitive NMMS scholarship exam.
Frequently Asked Questions on NMMS
Here are answers to some common queries regarding the NMMS scholarship:
Q. How many scholarships are awarded under NMMS scheme annually?
A. Around 1 lakh scholarships are awarded every year under NMMS for students of class 9.
Q. Is there any reservation under NMMS scheme?
A. Yes, scholarships under NMMS are allotted based on category-wise reservation norms as per respective State/UT Governments.
Q. Can Kendriya Vidyalaya students apply for NMMS?
A. No, students from KVS and JNV schools are not eligible for the NMMS scholarship.
Q. Is NMMS scholarship available for 10th, 11th and 12th class students?
A. Yes, NMMS scholars can continue to receive the scholarship in classes 10, 11 and 12 subject to fulfilling the annual renewal criteria.
Q. What is the total marks for NMMS exam?
A. The NMMS exam comprises 2 papers – MAT and SAT of 90 marks each, so total marks is 180.
Q. How is the NMMS scholarship amount disbursed?
A. The scholarship amount is disbursed quarterly directly into the student’s bank account through Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT).
The National Means cum Merit Scholarship is a boon for meritorious students from underprivileged backgrounds as it supports them financially and motivates them academically to continue secondary and higher secondary education. The prestige and recognition of being an NMMS scholar is also a big motivator.
Eligible students studying in class 8 must therefore apply and work hard to clear the NMMS exam of their respective state. Timely application submission and diligent preparation as per exam pattern is key to getting selected. The NMMS scholarship not only provides funding support of Rs 12,000 per year but also gives wings to the dreams and aspirations of lakhs of students across India.