Citizens of Pakistan and US are welcomed to lay their applications for Pakistan-United States Journalists Exchange program for the year 2014 by the East-WestCenter. This program is funded by a grant from the U.S. Embassy Islamabad Public Affairs Section and offers to US and Pakistani journalists an opportunity to gain firsthand information about the countries they visit to better understand the perspectives of both sides and bring new insights on this changing relationship to their audiences. It can be taken at Pakistan and USA.
- About the eligibility:-
Professional print, broadcast (TV and radio), and online journalists in Pakistan and the United States with a minimum of five years of professional experience. Must be citizens of Pakistan or the United States. Pakistani journalists must have no previous experience in the United States, be currently residing in Pakistan and be able to communicate in English in a professional, multi-cultural environment. Preference will be given to Urdu and regional language media and effort will be made to balance regional, gender and broadcast, print and on-line representation. The strongest candidates from both countries will be those who cover the US-Pakistan relationship in their work as reporters, editors, columnists, producers, anchors, etc., or who are in a position to be able to do some stories about the country visited and the issues covered in the program.
- About the nationality:-
Pakistani and US citizens can submit an application for the program.
- About the awards:-
- Twelve Pakistani journalists will travel to the United States and ten U.S. Journalists will travel to Pakistan.
- Round trip airfare for the study tour travel, lodging, visa expenses and per diem to cover meals and incidentals are provided by the East-WestCenter through a grant from the United States Embassy Islamabad Public Affairs Section.
- East-WestCenter will inform journalists of the results by November 30, 2013.
- About the applying procedure and the Deadline:-
Please send applications by fax or email. Please submit the following:
1. Pakistan-U. S. Journalists Exchange Application Form (pages 1 & 2), downloadable as a fillable PDF or Word file (when using the PDF, please be sure to save a copy to your computer using “save as” before typing in any content). If you need more space please feel free to add pages;
2. Cover letter/statement of interest (maximum three double-spaced pages) that includes all of the following:
-A brief introduction to you, your news organization, and your role in the organization and how it relates to the program as described above.
-Your specific interests in and goals for the program and how you can apply it to your work. For Pakistani journalists, please comment on your particular areas of interest for the journalism sessions in Columbia, Missouri.
-1-2 paragraphs about the aspect of the US-Pakistan relationship that is of greatest interest or relevance to you from the list below and how you feel your participation in the program could benefit your understanding of that aspect of the relationship.
3. Letter of recommendation from a supervisor describing your role in the organization, your suitability for the Exchange, and the benefit your organization hopes to derive from your participation in the program. Freelance or non-traditional journalists should send a reference from a professional familiar with their work, preferably from a media organization that regularly uses his or her work.
4. Names, titles and contact information of your supervisor and two other people who may be contacted by the Center as references. Please include both emails and phone contacts.
The deadline to submit application is October 8, 2013.
For detailed information about the application and the scholarships please visit the link